[OSM-talk] [Tagging] Proposed feature: Gated Communities

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Feb 5 03:01:06 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/2/3 Chango640 <chango640 at gmail.com>:
> > If you are interested in this proposal, please visit
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Gated_community to
> see
> > full details and discuss.
>
> Why not use landuse=residential

I agree with this, although where feasible I'd rather see
landuse=residential only on the residential sections of the gated community.

> together with another tag, say community=gated (where community could also
> become other stuff like
> religious, seniors, female,

Adding community=gated seems redundant.  Just map the wall or fence itself.

... and or add access=private?

I guess you could put access=private on the wall/fence, but isn't that the
default?  I'd definitely put access=private on all the roads, parking
spaces, parks, etc.

Anyway I would suggest to map the extent of the gated area by adding
> the fence barrier=fence and the entraces / gates.

Yeah, definitely.