[OSM-talk] Where can we purchase sat photography for usage in openstreetmap?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Feb 5 23:14:21 GMT 2010

Hi,

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> I just found out that we cannot use any of the data from eurimage.com in osm.
> We want to raise funds to buy high res photos of Kosovo for tracing.

Read http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gaza and talk to Peter Miller
who was, I believe, involved in obtaining the aerial photography for Gaza.

I have a hunch that some suppliers of aerial photography are willing to
make a trade: they hand us their imagery, we hand them whatever we trace
from the images under a no-strings-attached license. This would
basically mean that during such a project, the imagery would be made
available to selected persons only, and these have to agree that
everything they trace is dual licensed (OSM plus special rights for
those who gave use the images).

It's always better to convince them to simply hand over the images and
take the data from OSM afterwards, of course.

Bye
Frederik