[OSM-talk] New OSM GeoData License Status

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 13:17:03 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> The next step is introduce "dual licensing" for *new* OpenStreetMap
> contributors as soon as possible.  When they register, they will be asked to
> license their contributions under both CC-BY-SA and ODbL until and when the
> ODbL is finally in place.  This is an important step as it has always been
> the most urgent step step in the process ... the longer we leave it, the
> more contributors we have to be contacted.

Seeing the huge amount of reactions on this post here or on the legal-talk
list, my guess is that everyone is tired about the license change process.
Based on the OSMF and the doodle polls, it seems that the license change is
moving forward, thanks the LWG.
But now, the OSMF should speed-up the transition ! We are many contributors
that are reluctant to modify or improve existing data because of the threat
that many old or minor contributions will disappear - not because people
will reject the new license but more because they will not reply to the Odbl
change request (especially those who didn't edit anything since month or
years, e.g. the coastlines).
So, what I would like to know is:
- the new time schedule for the licence change
- is there any plan or coordination to translate the Odbl before you ask the
dual-licence to newcomers ? Is it possible to translate the license without
the support of legal-vocabulary experts ?

Pieren

Result of the crappy poll, the 10th Feb:
439 participants (10 entries removed for double or empty votes).
31% "yes, I will accept the new license Odbl"
44% "yes and consider all my data Public domain (no restrictions)"
3% "no, I will not accept the new license Odbl but I will if the license is
reworked"
10% "no, I will not accept the new license Odbl and wants to continue with
the CC-BY-SA2.0 license"
12% "I don't know yet because I don't understand the new license or the
possible consequences"