[OSM-talk] New OSM GeoData License Status

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Feb 10 14:39:39 GMT 2010

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Is goes 'edited the project' then as far as 'wrote a
> wikipage', 'submitted a bug', 'edited the source'.
>
> Or is exclusively to geo-data?

We're only talking about the licensing of geodata here. There's no reasoning
for a coder to have a say over data which they haven't edited.

If you've edited (say) the source of JOSM, then that contribution is under
GPL. If you've edited the source of Potlatch, it's public domain. If you
want to encourage the respective project maintainers to change their
software licensing, that's fine, but it's a different matter to
CC-BY-SA->ODbL.

Similarly, AIUI the wiki will stay licensed as CC-BY-SA because it's a
creative work. Sometimes a _very_ creative work...

cheers
Richard