[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] Are we strict enough with imports ?

Oliver Kuehn (skobbler) osm.oliver.kuehn at gmx.de
Fri Feb 12 11:01:01 GMT 2010

Hi,

I fully agree that imports should be done very selective to avoid a "giant
data rubbish dump". However, currently it is very difficult for a user to
decide "if the data is so important [..] for the foundation [..] that we'd
rather have and outdated version of it in OSM than nothing at all".

I think it would be good to establish some principles that give guidance to
the user if the data are of interest for the community e.g. "(a) the
location should be of public interest either by being publicly accessible or
by being of historic relevance, (b) individuals should not be added to the
data base"

Another helpful feature could be an "expiry date". Each import can not be
valid longer than e.g. 12 months. After this period the dataset needs update
and receives a new validity data. Otherwise the data will become inactive.

Regards,
Oliver