[OSM-talk] fwd: Two thirds of mobile users want driving AND walking navigation

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 23:31:41 GMT 2010

On 16 February 2010 02:13, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM, James Stewart <j.k.stewart at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Getting back to those walkers, though. Navteq says it's identified four features requested by large numbers of users when they're on foot. They are:
>> public transport information including real-time data;
>
> Well, OSM can do bus/rail stops, but no real-time data...

I've been thinking for some time about putting together a database of
methods to access public transport schedules for places around the
world, it could be python code snippets or even better javascript code
or something else.  The public transport operator in my city has a
quite bad API but it can be queried for schedules with some effort and
works, and apparently there's something like that on national level
for UK judging from http://www.öpnvkarte.de/naptan.html  I wanted to
add something similar to öpnvkarte for my own city but couldn't find
who to contact for öpnvkarte, and thought it would be great to have
some kind of open database with all those methods + served area
limits, for example as something like a wiki table (can't believe I'm
saying this) that services like öpnvkarte could query.

Cheers