[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] [Warning: Potential Flamewar] Clarifying Interstate Relations

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Feb 7 19:42:35 GMT 2010

On 2/7/10 1:58 PM, Chris Hunter wrote:
> According to the WIKI and some discussions back in April
> (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-April/000976.html)
> and again in September
> (http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-September/001597.html),
> the US Interstate system was going to be moved into a new schema where
> each direction of each interstate would be split at the state border
> to avoid hitting API 0.6's 1000-member hard-cap on relationships.
>
> Last night, user NE2 "cleaned up" the interstate system by merging all
> of the states with 2 relations per interstate back into 1 relation
> with direction-based roles.  I've already requested a roll-back on the
> area I was working on, but I wanted to check if we still have a
> consensus on splitting each interstate into separate directions at the
> state line.
i concur with the notion of splitting at state lines. i also think that
the longer US routes need
to be handled in a similar manner.

i don't think NE2 condensed all the relationships; he hit the I-90
East/West and I-81 North/South
relations i built in NY, but just altered the names, leaving both
relations in place.

richard