[OSM-talk] Mapping streets as areas - can I do it now?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Feb 21 22:43:51 GMT 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Niklas Cholmkvist <towardsoss at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I live in a place where I feel the need to map some streets as areas. If
>> I start a little of such mapping, will routing software get confused?
>>

> If it's not a one-way road, routing software should be pretty much fine,
> even if it ignores the area tag and treats the road as a loop.

By the way, according to the wiki, "area=yes, in the context of roads,
indicates that the area has no street lines within it".  That may or may not
pose a problem depending on the streets you are mapping.  In my neighborhood
none of the minor streets have street lines so an area tag could be used
without even ignoring the wiki.