[OSM-talk] Creating custom OSM sites using the Mapnik OSM plugin?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 22 16:05:18 GMT 2010

Nick,

   the main problem with the OSM plugin is that the user group most
likely to be unable or unwilling to install PostGIS is also the group
least likely to develop their own map style, and the plugin doesn't come
with something even remotely resembling what these people usually
expect, namely the openstreetmap.org style.

Regarding tile generation and uploading; I don't think this is something
that can ever compete with a proper Mapnik setup. If I really were very
limited regarding the tile server, say if that were a VM where I can do
nothing but deliver pre-made tiles, I would still install a plain
vanilla Mapnik/PostGIS setup on my home machine and run tilesgen there,
uploading the results.

I haven't run the OSM plugin myself but I should be very surprised if,
using a style that has about the same level of detail the osm.org style
has, you could render an English county on an useful zoomlevel faster
with that setup than, on the same machine, with a
PostGIS+osm2pgsql+Mapnik setup. I regularly use the data for
Baden-Wuerttemberg in Germany as a test bed and this takes only a few
minutes to import with osm2pgsql on a normal desktop PC...

Bye
Frederik