[OSM-talk] Mapping streets as areas - can I do it now?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Feb 22 19:15:56 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Niklas Cholmkvist <towardsoss at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I live in a place where I feel the need to map some streets as areas. If
> > I start a little of such mapping, will routing software get confused?
>
> How were you planning to achieve this?
>

> There is still no consensus that I'm aware of for how to do this

What about http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area ?  As I said above,
so long as the road doesn't have any street lines within it (as most of the
residential roads where I live are), you just draw a border around the area
and tag it with highway=residential (or whatever) and area=yes.  For
example,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.077444&lon=-82.548096&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF