[OSM-talk] Mapping streets as areas - can I do it now?

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Mon Feb 22 22:05:12 GMT 2010

Roy Wallace wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Carsten Gerlach <daswaldhorn at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's right, have a look at http://osm.org/go/0MBdEXMHO- for example.
>
> That looks great, and so simple... highway=* for the way, AND
> highway=* + area=yes for the area.

I already used it a while ago, in a small fraction of my city, just to
"experiment" a bit:

  http://osm.org/go/xZHrPUmuB--

> Is this a solved problem, then? Any complaints with this approach
> (cause it looks damn pretty on mapnik, at least...)

I remember someone complaining with me that routers not supporting
highway=* + area=yes in the same relation with a "normal" highway=*,
might get confused -- and that something like "landuse=road" would be
better.
I don't know which of the two to choose though.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino