[OSM-talk] Mapping streets as areas - can I do it now?

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Mon Feb 22 22:30:41 GMT 2010

On Monday 22 February 2010 23:26:52, John Smith wrote:
> On 23 February 2010 08:05, David Paleino <dapal at debian.org> wrote:
> > I remember someone complaining with me that routers not supporting
> > highway=* + area=yes in the same relation with a "normal" highway=*,
> > might get confused -- and that something like "landuse=road" would be
> > better.
>
> Wouldn't landuse=road bleed colour between the way and the area?

If you noted the link I included in my mail, I haven't used it.

I think landuse=road is semantically more correct than highway=* + area=yes
(but this could be debatable too), but the drawback is that renderers have the
burden of colouring landuse=road the same way of its way. If both are in a
relation, it could probably be done, but I believe it'd take some effort.

I personally think highway + area is more straightforward.

My 2c,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino