[OSM-talk] Mapping streets as areas - can I do it now?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 06:49:53 GMT 2010

On 23 February 2010 16:43, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> We've got all the tools we need - nodes and relations.  With them we can
> build anything else we want.

I'm sure people said the same thing about ways and nodes, why did we
need relations?

It has the potential to reduce redundent information and make life
easier for mapping tool creators and mapping route software.

> I think an acceptable method of micro mapping lanes will come as soon as
> someone makes a renderer that renders one of the myriad of possible
> solutions.

Micro mapping isn't just for rendering, in fact it has far bigger
applications in the routing side of things, eg "In 500m merge into the
right lane" etc, a lot of this is just meta information and doesn't
need to be mapped visually to the nth degree.