[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 21:05:25 GMT 2010

On 23 February 2010 20:17, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

An excellent and though-provoking post. It's rare to read something of
that length on such touchy subjects and agree with so much of the
content.

If I had to pick a single most important theme as the central one,
it's the whole area of turning people away from the project before
they even begin and how that's a really bad thing. For a long time OSM
was so far away from being ready for mass appeal that it didn't really
matter if normal people stayed away. We don't have that luxury any
more.

Our public face has to show us up at our best against the competition,
because the public doesn't know or care how clever it is under the
hood. But they do know what they can do with Google Maps and similar,
and we need to make those features an obvious and easy part of our own
front page, starting with mashable maps for the ordinary user.

And yes, I'm prepared to work on it.

Dermot