[OSM-talk] Mapping streets as areas - can I do it now?

Steve Doerr steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 23:48:50 GMT 2010

On 23/02/2010 21:54, Roy Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM, John Smith<deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> The only harm is if there is no way as well, or if people start joing
>> roads to nature strips and making it a complete PITA to edit them
>> independently of each other in future.
>
> I think this is important, and hasn't been addressed yet.
>
>> Also I'd only tag the way not the area with the name so that people
>> only wanting the way will still get things to render properly.
>
> The outstanding question here is whether a relation should be used to
> relate the way to the corresponding area.

If a way connects to an area that represents a connecting road, then
there is presumably a simple rule based on the 'rule of the road', i.e.,
drive on the left (right) according to the rules of the country in which
the roads are situated. In other words, if approaching from the left on
the following diagram, the only course possible (in the UK) is to branch
left at the first node, and proceed in a clockwise direction with
respect to the area:

I've only considered this simplest of scenarios - doubtless there are
more complex situations where this rule might 'break'?

--
Steve