[OSM-talk] Still interest in an Android POI collector?

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 07:28:00 GMT 2010

On 23 Feb 2010, at 13:00 , Graham Jones wrote:

> I have just got an Android phone too and was thinking of doing some work on simplifying the Vespucci user interface (I'm just learning how the UI system works on Android first....still can't get the camera to work properly...).  I see the main improvements that would be useful are:
> 	• A 'one click' (probably one long click) 'add a node' option that takes you straight to the tag editor, so that you can add POIs easily.
> 	• A more general simplification of the UI (haven't thought of the details yet).

I am still new to Android, seems a lot applications lack the simple one click or one long click -> do something feature

> 	• (less important) improvements to the map rendering, or possibly using a pre-rendered base image.

I think better is a potlatch/josm/google maps like feature to use different layers for background. maybe some code can be reused from some  other applications

> Generally I think that vespucci is about there as a simple editor, it just needs some UI development.
> This might be a nice student project for Google Summer of Code?
>
> The other Android (or J2ME too) application that I think would be useful would be a 'mapping tool' application - something very simple to record GPS traces and let you take geotagged photos and audio clips with just a single key press - again there are applications that let you do this, but I have not seen any that are very simple to use, and I like very simple!

OSMtracker on WM is a good example.
On Android My Tracks, Camera can be used but task switching too complicated. All in one app is a good idea. Havn't found any app yet which records HDOP values in the gpx track. My Tracks shows it on screen but doesn't record.