[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 19:04:00 GMT 2010

I have been very busy (and very put off) recently, so have not read EVERY posting on this topic but I would like to respond on the specific issue of an entry level editor.
I can understand where people are coming from (Steve C included), can understand where they might be going, but really don't like the road that is being travelled - viz language/tone/factions/points scoring etc.
And this next bit is directed specifically at Steve C:
Have you considered a different approach? Given that it is probably accepted that an entry level editor would be a "good thing" why not work towards it in a more positive way. It is quite possible that you are hearing from loads of people that Potlatch is a (considerable) barrier to entry to working on the data entry. I am not actually sure anyone has ever claimed that PL WAS the answer to this particular matter. I also would just say that for me and my way of working (and yes I know I have a particular level of knowledge that I already bring to bear so am not a good case study) Potlatch is a very comfortable editor to work with, and am pleased with the way it has been developed, and have confidence that PL2 will build on this.
It is evident that you have excellent networking abilities, credibility in the wider community, loads of energy, and (perhaps) an understanding of what is required. Why not ask these people you meet to help formulate a brief for said entry level system (even using the dreaded focus groups to do so). Why not then network with some folk who might be in a position to look at the brief and then approach someone (or more) to actually tackle the task, meanwhile acting as project manager to guide it through all the stages that will happen - concept, UI, testing, tweaking, etc (I am no project manager, so excuse ignorance here).
Come up with a good result and it will surely be adopted by the project. You will receive considerable kudos if you can help deliver that result, and we will have a better project for it, with hopefully more people data inputting also.
Think on it.

Cheers
STEVE