[OSM-talk] Thoughts on OSM design, and looking forward and back

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Feb 24 21:49:20 GMT 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 13:18, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, SteveC wrote:
>> Andy, building community and moving things on is not just "be nice to
>> everyone all the time". Sometimes it's also about being honest and
>> saying,
>> this is wrong, we can fix it.
>>
>>> * Steve apologies - without caveats - regarding his demeaning of
>>> existing developers work
>>
>> You're not seriously suggesting the PL user experience is non-crap
>> and the
>> codebase is non-crap right? Because I think that's all I said.
>>
> Well I read more than that, it was personal attack on the developer.
> Grow Up SteveC
> Pull Your Horns Back In

It's kind of hard not to though, as it still only really has one
developer. How would you critique PL *without* implicating it's
author? Because the softly softly approach has been going on for years
and you an call the progress at best glacial. It's simply not kept up
with all the other progress.

So, how would you fix it? I suspect you'd ask nicely, offer to pay,
offer to pay other people... And we've exahusted all of those. Hence,
I posted a whole lot of options which nobody liked, and in the
meantime you have seen some genuine emails from newbies and those
working with them on how hard it all is.

The best we can offer right now is more evolutionary progress as
outlined in Andys email. I say that's just not good enough and it lets
down all those people. I hear you that you want proof and I'll go and
build that, but it just slows it all down again.

> because an adult would be prepared to apologise.

This is starting to get silly that everyone else can have a free for
all which I largely ignore, but if I legitimatly call someone out,
even in negative tones, thats a crime of the highest order and not
only that you don't even go check that  i apologised already!