[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Thu Feb 25 10:35:12 GMT 2010

Op 25-02-10 10:50, John Smith schreef:
> On 25 February 2010 19:42, Liz<edodd at billiau.net>  wrote:
>> I would suggest that Potlatch is left alone for its devotees.
>>
>> I'd start with the following in the design brief for the "Newbie Editor"
>> Can add nodes, label them with default tags only (other than name).
>> Can add ways, again default tag list only, other than name.
>> Very limited deletion ability (no clear idea yet on how to define this).
>
> Need some error checking on over lapped ways, could be as simple as
> poping up an error message asking if the ways should be joined or are
> on different levels and add layer tagging or joining the ways as
> needed.

Why not do some thing that prevents the way to go overlapping in the
first place, something like an elastic band thing. Until the location is
correct, the direction follows the mouse but waits until a non cross.

This could also be a good thing for polygons that self intersect.

I think this newbee editor should basically get layers, and not be some
free form editor. Clearly get a user in the direction: "You are now
editing the road system" (Leaving all other data readonly) or "You are
now editing PoI's".

Stefan