[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:16:10 GMT 2010

On 25 February 2010 13:00, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 February 2010 22:23, Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A full Javascript implementation is certainly possible with some of the
> new
> > feature that are only in some browsers (read forget all browser except
> for
>
> I think you are over playing this, the openlayers JS can already do a
> lot in existing browsers and even IE, and if we're only talking about
> a simple browser it doesn't need all the features that exist in JOSM
> etc.

Sorry in advance for the mixed answers.

I might over play it but I used to do some serious coding in JS for some
time, and browser compatibilities and limitations were all too evident at
the time. I suspect it has changed quite a bit with the new Javascript
engines out there, but I suspect that some of the more advanced
functionalities that you might need might have some problem in the end due
to memory and cpu constraints. Someone mentioned Cartagen which is very
interesting but still slow for a tool. Again, I don't mind being proven
wrong. Ian's code could be a starting point for some interested coders.
We have to think also in terms of functionalities and target platforms.
As Andrezj said, we could use SVG which would solve a few problems, since at
least SVG can be manipulated through DOM api. We could use libraries like
openlayer which would provide us with a good starting point. I might be
wrong but it all depends on what you want to do, how fast, how complete,
etc...
Also, I would like to point out that Richard at some point mentioned that a
HTML 5 client for Potlatch would be nice. Action Script is an ECMAscript
based language. Of course, we would be missing libraries from Flash, but
adapting part of the code would be possible for someone that is technically
able.
Anyway, in any case, I don't want to discourage anyone from working on this.
It would be quite interesting to see it happen.

Emilie Laffray