[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:47:18 GMT 2010

I are with keeping the scope very limited - if we start to add too many
features you will get Potlatch, which would defeat the  object of a very
simple, easy to use editor for people that do not understand much about the
underlying data structure.

I think that Adding POIs and changing labels of existing entities should be
enough for most casual users (so people can change the spelling of their
street, add a bank etc.).

We could then have a nice banner on the bottom of the screen pointing to the
descriptions of the other editors that would allow you to add or change
geometries.

Graham.

On 25 February 2010 20:29, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> >
> > I would suggest that Potlatch is left alone for its devotees.
> >
> > I'd start with the following in the design brief for the "Newbie Editor"
> > Can add nodes, label them with default tags only (other than name).
> > Can add ways, again default tag list only, other than name.
> > Very limited deletion ability (no clear idea yet on how to define this).
>
> I suspect starting at even this level of complexity would cause
> feature creep towards Potlatch, anyway...In particular, being able to
> add/edit ways requires handling many complex concepts (as others have
> brought up), like joining ways, way direction, overlapping ways, etc.
>
> How about an even bigger step back? If starting a new editor from
> scratch is to be worthwhile, surely it should be a LOT more basic than
> all other existing editors. i.e. how about only these features:
>
> 1) Add POI
> User specifies:
>  a) where it is
>  b) what it is (choose from a single list of options)
>  c) the name
>
> 2) Edit Name
>  e.g. add or fix the name of an existing road - this should help a
> lot with noname roads
>

> Secondly: can we please decide on the scope of before we talk about
> the details of the implementation (flash/javascript/etc)?

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK
email: grahamjones139 at gmail.com