[OSM-talk] Serious consideration of "Newbie Editor"

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Feb 26 09:44:26 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Tim McNamara
> <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> For future discussion, once scope has been determined: Would it be an idea
>> to provide a toggle between simple mode & complex mode inside of Potlatch,
>> rather than build a completely new editor?
>
> I think it first depends on what we decide we want this new editor to do.

Potlatch 2 has a bunch of "simpler" features than Potlatch, mostly
revolving around tagging -- we're still making a full editor here, but
if you imagine turning off the vector editing and the advanced tabs
then it becomes much simpler proposition. It's also written in a way
that doing those things would not be so difficult.

There are two big advantages of a simple mode to an existing full editor:

 - you don't have to write the OSM handling parts again, even a simple
editor needs to cope with some quite complex things

 - you provide an easy choice for the user who wishes to progress onto
something less basic

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't had a play with the latest development
version of Potlatch 2, you can do so here on the dev server:
http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/potlatch2/potlatch2.html

And anyone wishing to get involved, please do!

Dave