[OSM-talk] [Fwd: RE: [CrisisMappers] 8.8 Earthquake Concepcion, Chile]

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Sat Feb 27 12:57:35 GMT 2010

-------- Message original --------
Sujet : 	RE: [CrisisMappers] 8.8 Earthquake Concepcion, Chile
Date : 	Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:43:43 -1000
De : 	John Livengood <jlivengood at pdc.org>
Répondre à : 	crisismappers at googlegroups.com
Pour : 	<crisismappers at googlegroups.com>
Références : 	<545792.72700.qm at web23205.mail.ird.yahoo.com>
<644C100E-DA33-42B0-A596-A615FC5A800D at vonmatern.se>
<20100227040701.kcqzm4iysks0o880-mazro at webmail.spamcop.net>
<3C5EEBB3-0565-4A79-B31B-4E9475656D82 at gmail.com>
<2EE6BDC9-AADF-437E-A1A7-F7D34A30D024 at kestrel.co.nz>
<a0a63b911002270319y26790ac0v8f12a6f08d04d4a at mail.gmail.com>
<8F3A3F97-7CC4-4DC8-8252-50F4E1202699 at kestrel.co.nz>

Reports coming in highlight a significant tsunami was generated.  Impact
to Hawaii would be 11:19am HST.

8.8 Earthquake assessment
Initial reports ~50 confirmed dead;
Population; Shaking Felt
3,000,000; Severe
9,772,000;  Strong - Very Strong

Concepcion with a population of 650k or more has initial reports of
severe to catastrophic damage.  Very limited communication with this
region so far.  Santiago is experiencing moderate to heavy damage
depending on the structure type.  Some reports of collapsed structures.
Power is out in most of the capital.  Starting to come back in areas
already though.  Debris and damaged roads are making travel difficult.
Airport is shut down while structural assessments are being conducted.

There is a major bridge connecting the north & south near the city of
Talco.  Reports have the bridge as being destroyed.

John Livengood
Pacific Disaster Center