[OSM-talk] Defective GPS trace

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 23:12:46 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Aun Johnsen <lists at gimnechiske.org> wrote:

> The accuracy shown on your GPS unit is not necessary the actual accuracy,
> but just a calculated accuracy depending on the signals your unit is
> receiving. You can experience athmospheric disturbance, plasma-effects,
> signals reflected off tall buildings, canyon or urban canyon effects, bed
> satellite constillations etc. If you have SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS) activated you
> might see an improvement in the signal, but mind that if you are outside the
> official coverage of such systems you might experience that these
> corrections are in fact increasing the error. If you have access to

When I looked up WAAS on wikipedia a while ago, it appeared that we do have
an equivalent system in Australia (although the term WAAS is american), but
I'm not sure how to tell whether it's functioning in a given area. I
switched the WAAS capability on the GPS on, but again, I don't know if it's
actually doing anything.

Steve