[OSM-talk] OSM rewriting history : France is now part of Germany !

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 2 12:23:27 GMT 2010

John Smith wrote:

>> It's not a node, so my guess is that label is coming from a huge
>> polygon but, stilll, I don't know what can be a polygon named
>> "Germany" and its centre is so far in the west...

There is an issue that causes labels to (far) outside the polygons, and
that is a multipolygon with multiple outer rings. A fix has been applied
to osm2pgsql recently, supposedly fixing this, but until the planet has
been fully reloaded, lots of old-style objects will still be in the
database. Still, this issue always caused the labels to outside and to
the _east_ of the objects, and this is to the west. This particular case
may have another cause.

> Does anyone know of a good reason for the names of polygons to render?

It makes all kinds of otherwise unhandled polygons* show up with a
label. This includes houses, forests, marinas, quarries, etc. You name
it: if it's a closed area with a name label, it renders. Mind you, I'm
very much against doing this in the mapnik stylesheet, because it
actually takes control away from us. You cannot suppress a label for
things which really shouldn't render. The same holds true for the
default way to render labels for every way with a name key.

I do understand, however, that requiring explicit handling to label a
large swath of polygonic* features would require an extensive section in
the mapnik stylesheet, and some effort to compile and decide which to
render. Which is why it hasn't been done yet, although with the current
modularized approach, at least it won't be a total maintenance nightmare
anymore.

Perhaps now is the time to get around to actually fixing this, accepting
that some labels you've come to expect to be rendered will suddenly be
absent? Until someone notices, creates an enhancement ticket, and we
create an explicit rule, of course.

* The same applies for ways, causing untold floating names to appear
where there is no supporting rendered feature.

> Most of the time, there is a place node for where things should

Most of the time, there really isn't.

> render, otherwise you get the names of postcodes and names rendering
> in the middle of no where.

Indeed, which is currently the case.

--
Lennard