[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Jan 2 13:33:40 GMT 2010

Steve Bennett wrote:
> But...where do you get the street name from? I think there's a
> general policy that you can't copy it off other maps...but why,
> exactly? How can a piece of information like the name of the
> street be copyright?

Quick answer as requested:

1. Your jurisdiction may give databases of facts protection over and above
the facts themselves. Simplifying hugely, the EU does, the US doesn't.
http://www.iusmentis.com/databases/ for more.

2. The Terms of Use for Google Maps (or whatever) may forbid it through
contract.

cheers
Richard