[OSM-talk] Not-properly-Open-but-called-Open

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Jan 2 16:36:45 GMT 2010

Joseph Reeves wrote:
>>> FreeCycleMap? :)
>>>
>> Yeah, why not?
>>

> What's your definition of Free? Beer, speech or freedom? Following
> your argument we'd have to call it
> NoUpFrontFinancialCostToTheUser(ApartFromBandwidth)CycleMap
>
> Or we channel the communities abilities into mapping rather than
> arguing about this ;-)

I don't see how free speech is relevant in this case so - free beer.

It can be called whatever they like - "MyCycleMap" perhaps. It doesn't
have to declare itself in the name - explain what it's source is in an
'About...' dialog box along with an explanation about what it's keeping
hidden.

But, remove it from the main page where it appears comparable with OSM
in the open sense, which it clearly isn't.

My abilities have spent much time mapping over the previous week so I'm
quite happy now, pointing out things that I think are out of proportion.

Cheers
Dave F.