[OSM-talk] Defective GPS trace

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 17:51:23 GMT 2010

2010/1/1 Ulf Möller <osm at ulfm.de>

> > You can check the satellite screen on the Garmin. It should show an
> > estimated position accuracy.
>

> The eTrex often claims 10m accuracy when in fact it is 50m off, so that
> doesn't really help. Using two different GPS receivers is a good idea if
> you don't want to survey twice.

while this might help in the case your devices calculations/capabilities
create the offset, this is still no help in the case of atmospheric
interferences. Generally I'd say the more traces you can get, the better is.
If you got only 1 trace that shouldn't prevent you from mapping though:
enter the data the best you can (detailed tags are at least as valueable as
positional accuracy), and probably someone else will optimize the track with
new data in the future.

Cheers,
Martin