[OSM-talk] OSM rewriting history : France is now part of Germany !

Patrick Kilian osm at petschge.de
Sun Jan 3 00:37:35 GMT 2010

Hi,

>> I think that there was someone on IRC a while ago pointing out the name
>> of a natural reserve on the South African mainland which was rendered
>> way out west on the water.
> This happens with postcode boundaries too, due to the irregular shape
> the name renders outside of them some times.

Does anybody here know a reasonably fast algorithm which finds the
center of the (largest) incircle of a polygon? And would you find that a
suitable stop for the label of the polygon?
I tried to play around with that idea but couldn't come up with an
algorithm to find that point efficiently in the general case.
Furthermore I'm not totally sure if it really is the optimal place for
the label as the label itself is not circular but much wider then the
vertical extend.
It might trigger a smart idea for automatic label placement in somebody,
so I decided to share the idea.

Patrick "Petschge" Kilian