[OSM-talk] Cycleways wiki doc enhanced

Claus Hindsgaul claus.hindsgaul at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 13:43:33 GMT 2010

2010/1/3 Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>

> It is however a very good example of where people have taken the trouble to
> ACTUALLY map reality and their efforts have been destroyed! At the end of
> the
> day everything needs to be mapped fully, and there is no case for REMOVING
> tracks that are mapped, and every case for providing a means to properly
> replace
> 'shorthand' with fully mapped detail.
>
> I agree to the goal of getting everything on the map. But you can not
conclude that in some cases the best and most operative description is not
reached by replacing one representation by a better one, e.g. in some cases
removing shadow bicycle paths or sidewalks and incorporate them in the road
tags.

If an agreed OSM project goal exists, where uncompromised and non-reflected
micro-mapping [the consequence of your phrase "everything needs to be mapped
fully"] is described as the ultimate goal, please help me with a pointer.
Then this discussion is over, and I must accept loosing some of my faith in
the overall usefulness of the project.
Otherwise I think we are obliged to continuously put some thought into how
we really end up with the best and most operative map description.

Claus
Civilingeniør ph.d. Claus Hindsgaul
Edvard Thomsens Vej 19, 5. th
DK-2300 KBH S