[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 3 22:56:39 GMT 2010

On Sunday 03 January 2010 22:20:01 Roy Wallace wrote:
> This is not fairly worded. In Australia (and other sparsely populated
> areas), it is not just "for the sake of some lazy copying" - this
> issue is critical to whether there is any hope of eventually getting
> reasonable coverage of street names throughout the country. It's a
> big, sparse country.

Luckily if it is sparsely populated there are fewer streets as well.

From this and several earlier discussions I get the impression that the group
of Australians currently so active on the mailing list isn't lazy but they
are certainly impatient.

The map in Germany isn't more complete because there are more Germans in a
small area, but because the Germans "discovered" OSM earlier in the existence
of the project and put a lot of effort in community building.

The Australian outback is vast, but there is hardly anything mappable by
survey out there. When it comes to urban and suburban mapping (where most
streetnames and cycleways are), Australia isn't any different from any other
developed country.

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus