[OSM-talk] Cycleways wiki doc enhanced

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 01:35:11 GMT 2010

2010/1/3 Claus Hindsgaul <claus.hindsgaul at gmail.com>

> -- Now back to the thread topic, bicycles :-) --
> My conlusion: in the existing OSM environment, metatagging (one way with
> tags for bicycle tracks, sidewalks etc.) of streets should be preferred for
> fragmentation into separate micromapped entities, unless the fragmentation
> is necessary to describe significant information. My first post in this
> thread lists the talk-dk concensus of such exceptions for bicycle tracks.

what does this conclusion imply? Does it mean if you encounter a separately
mapped cycleway and there is not (yet?) enough "significant" different tags
for the cycleway and the street nearby (say name, ref, maxspeed, width,
surface, lanes are the same, the same turning restrictions apply, ...), you
will delete the way in favour of a simple cycleway=track? IMHO you will
nearly always find differences in detail, and we might be discussing about
which differences meet your significance criteria, but I'd prefer not to...

Btw: what do you consider the centre of the road when you incorporate the
cycleway? Is it shifted?

I'm not saying that it is impossible to enter all the details using just one
way (as long as they stay strictly parallel or in case you don't care for
positional / form detail), but there's a long way to go (currently there are
no solutions or definitions how to do it) and the editors would have to
support and display it in order to keep it handable, and in the end it could
be easier to combine two mapped ways for routing into 1 instead of creating
2 (or more) ways out of one (having to use lots of additional tags for their
single descriptions and being dependant on the direction of the way) while
still loosing the positional accuracy.

Cheers,
Martin