[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jan 4 15:17:01 GMT 2010

Hi,

Richard Weait wrote:
> Or as the JOSM message page says, "Don't copy from other maps"

Yes but! in the end it is the individual and his reasoning or conscience
that have to decide what is right - or as the OP said, "use your own
judgment".

We don't copy from other maps. Fine. If I am in a foreign place and I
ask a local what the name of the road is, and he draws out his A-Z
(saying: "I've been living here for decades and still cannot remember!")
then proceeds to give me the name... have I copied from the A-Z?

I could of course go on (what if I develop a friendship with that person
and arrange to meet them regularly to hear their quotes from A-Z...) -
but the essence is, use your judgment.

Bye
Frederik