[OSM-talk] Some time ago ... (was: Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 07:23:55 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>wrote:

> P.S: All that time it was - for me - simply out of question to copy map
> data from Google or other alike sources to get free and open map data
> that will remain free and open.

Ok, let's use the word "consult" rather than "copy". Did you ever, in all
that time, consult Google Maps? How did you know which areas hadn't been
mapped, but weren't empty? Did you ever look up a street name that you'd
forgotten to write down, or did you go and physically visit it again?

I feel that I/we Australians are in danger of being misrepresented, like we
have some secret plan to simply copy data off Google Maps rather than obtain
it legitimately. We don't. I just want to ask the question: what is the
legal basis that says that one company's representation of a street name is
copyright, and therefore can't be copied?

As you say, back in the day, you didn't have a choice but to go and visit
each street with a GPS. Now there are choices.

Steve