[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:25:29 GMT 2010

2010/1/5 Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com>:
> 2) map by survey & alternate legal methods, extremely fast progress
> right now, with fairly good accuracy widespread, and for several
> years: correct the errors

I'm not disagreeing that shouldn't be done, I'm saying we shouldn't be
in such a mad rush that any means justify the ends. There is numerous
avenues we can use that don't require us to go out on each and every
street but at the same time we don't need to resort to leeching off
incorrect data either.

> Therefore it's worth at least briefly considering alternate legal
> methods, which is all that Steve is suggesting.

But he's not suggesting legal methods, he's suggesting inflicting
copyinfringement and/or breach of contract on OSM, the kind of thing
where even if you are in the right the other side can bankrupt you
before you ever get close to winning.

However that doesn't meant there aren't completely legal methods, like
emailing/writing to councils to get this information. Although it does
mean he won't get instant gratification as a result.