[OSM-talk] Vertical ways (staircase)

Ture Pålsson ture at lysator.liu.se
Tue Jan 5 12:15:49 GMT 2010

How should I map a staircase connecting a bridge to a street below? My
initial thought was to approximate it with a vertical way with
highway=steps, but is it even possible to have a vertical way? I.e,
can you have two nodes at the same lat/lon but with different layers?
(Do nodes even have layers?) Or should I try to map the actual
zigzagging/spiralling of the steps? But that, too, leaves me with the
question of how to map things that project on the same spot on the
ground. Cheat completely and map it as a steep, but not vertical, way?

The route in [1] would be considerably shorter if the router "knew"
that there are stairs between Norrbackagatan and the bridge.

 -- Ture

[1] <http://maps.cloudmade.com/?lat=59.338005&lng=18.032169&zoom=17&directions=59.33924112582132,18.031471967697144,59.33603484441543,18.033864498138428&travel=foot>