[OSM-talk] Sourcing street names - what's the policy, and why?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:55:02 GMT 2010

Am 05.01.2010 15:17, schrieb Anthony:
> I certainly don't suggest blatantly breaking the law.  What I suggest is
> not acting as though there is a law when you have no evidence that there is.
>
> So far no one has shown me the law that is supposedly being broken.  One
> brief attempt pointed to EU database law, which 1) hasn't been shown to
> apply in Australia; and 2) hasn't been shown to apply to all instances
> of copying anyway.

So we'll end up with a map only being legally usable in Australia. Fine
for you, but not a goal that I have.

> What we're left with is some sort of vague "Pascal's Wager" type
> admonishment - "I have absolutely no evidence for my claims, but you
> have to follow what I say anyway because not doing so would be
> infinitely bad."  I don't buy that crap.

So unless a mapper was drawn to bancrupt at court, you still won't agree
that there might be a problem.

If you don't "buy that crap" that's completely your thing.

If you don't want to follow the rules that this community has set for
itself (even if you don't really agree), it's up to you to start your
own shiny new mapping project.

Regards, ULFL