[OSM-talk] New "Highways" view in OSM Inspector

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri Jan 8 15:11:27 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
> > 2010/1/8 Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org>:
> >
> >> I think "don't map for the renderer" is a nice idea, but has nothing to
> do with
> >>

> > Don't map "incorrectly" for the renderer to have it show up a certain
> way...
> >
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer
> Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned 'renderer'.

Probably not since it's a feature which is missing from the API.

To me, a straight line, irrelevant of length, should have no more than
> two points.

By a straight line, do you mean a geodesic?  Or a straight line when
projected in the Mercator projection?

I'd imagine for some applications we'd want the former (a straight
road/rail), and for some we'd want the latter (the border of Wyoming).
Which should be the official definition according to the specs?