[OSM-talk] New "Highways" view in OSM Inspector

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Jan 9 00:27:03 GMT 2010

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> 2010/1/8 Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com <mailto:davefox at madasafish.com>>
>
>     To me, a straight line, irrelevant of length, should have no more than
>     two points.
>

> still you are ignoring projection and earth form, or are you talking
> about a tunnel (you will have to dig into the earth to get a straight
> line or decent length)?

I'm aware of the concept that the earth is not flat.

But... This is a two dimensional map. IFAIK there is no 3d data. The PoV
of viewing the OSM data via the likes of Mapnik is always through the
surface of the earth to the centre of the earth. Therefore a line such
as this Oz highway is, when viewed in a map, going to be straight.

OSMI is a checker for 2D data.
> (btw. you're ignoring also properties which require to split the way).
If you are meaning junctions etc. then I was assuming that people would
have taken this as read. Obviously I didn't take you into consideration.