[OSM-talk] Unions seem to be complaining about potential job losses if OS data is given away for free..

Aun Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Sun Jan 10 09:38:54 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
>>
>> Op 10-01-10 05:30, John Smith schreef:
>> >
>> > http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4826436.New_threat_to_jobs_at_Southampton_s_Ordnance_Survey/
>>
>> Sounds like the OS didn't have a R&D department nor a business
>> department.
>
> To me it sounds like the reverse: The people who come up with the different
> fee structures, licensing categories and enforcement thereof will be first
> to go.
>
> The surveyors and cartographers will still have their jobs as roads continue
> changing and GPS gets new applications like road pricing.

In my line of work we use a lot of surveyors, and our industry have
been constantly growing, and even continued to grow through the
economic crisis, though the area of focus have changed.

I am talking about the oil industry. There are at least a dusin
companies with large offshore survey departments, and even though the
work might be outside the UK, they still recruite a lot of brittish
surveyors. Almost everything in the oil industry is international. I
have worked alongside surveyors from 3 different countries in one
location (there where 4 surveyors in total ther), and none of them
where performing work in their home country.

So complaining about potential job loss in one company shows either
lack of knowledge, or lack of competence. It is the latter than we are
better off without them.