[OSM-talk] no rendering of amenity=veterinary

Sun Jan 10 21:24:02 GMT 2010

Hi!

I recently added a veterinary to OSM by setting amenity=veterinary as approved
in August 2008; see:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Veterinary

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dveterinary

Unfortunately, veterinaries are not yet being rendered by Osmarender or
Mapnik. The proposal contained a paw icon to be rendered, whereas a different
icon was proposed on the same wiki page by Ulfl:

http://www.gpsdrive.de/development/map-icons/classic.big/health/veterinary.png

The second icon is also used by JOSM and commonly used in Germany (a V for
veterinary (?) and a rod of Asclepius).

Are there any plans for including vet support in terms of an icon on the
official maps? It has been over a year since the proposal was approved and I
couldn't find anything new about its progress for being supported by Mapnik or
Osmarender. Is there anything that prevents adding an icon?

If rendered, an icon should be shown e.g. there: (node 603392630, not visible
on current tiles)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.43027&lon=13.2372&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

According to http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/amenity/veterinary there are currently
835 global nodes with amenity=veterinary; adding rendering support could be
useful.

By the way, I think emergency=yes|no could also make sense on
amenity=veterinary but I don't know if that's something that should be
rendered as well (currently only 3 nodes use that unapproved tag). It's not
yet in the wiki for veterinaries but for hospitals. However, a proposal for
different hospital icons has been abandoned, but I wanted to point out that
possibility if someone is going to implement the missing rendering of
veterinaries anyway (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Hospital:_Emergency ).

Bye,
Daniel