[OSM-talk] no rendering of amenity=veterinary

Mon Jan 11 00:16:22 GMT 2010

Personally I wouldn't care that much about whether something I enter into the
database is going to be rendered on the official tiles or not; it's there and
someone may use it some day. There are more use cases for the data in OSM than
just being rendered to the usual "road maps". But in my case, I think it would
be nice to have vets displayed, especially since that's a propsed feature that
has been approved with 100% of the votes (but maybe simply noone was
interested in voting against it) and already had an icon attached to it. (only
as PNG, not SVG, though)

As I'm new to (editing) OSM I only made a few edits yet, but I already
included some invisible metadata, not caring whether it's currently going to
be shown to web users or not. I know that OSM is more than just the tiles but
vets for instance seem to be worthwhile although maybe not all too
conventional POIs to render.

Plus, if there's a visible feature, users may think "oh, but they forgot one"
and start entering more (because: "Wow, they include such places? Cool!").
That won't happen if it's completely invisible. Also, if these POIs are
outdated, people who know about it and could fix it maybe simply wouldn't see
it, so these nodes remain in the database.

Bye,
Daniel