[OSM-talk] Can someone suggest a OSM/nearmap-based route-plotting tool

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 00:52:40 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Craig Wallace <craigw84 at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Most Garmins are limited to 500 points in a saved track. Though this is
> usually plenty, unless it is a rather long journey.

The newer ones, including mine, are 2000 I think.

> You could turn off autorouting. ie set it to "off road" instead of
> "follow road". Then it will just give you a straight line between the
> points in the route. With most Garmins, this works with up to 250 points
> in a route - its just "follow road" routing which is limited to 50 points.

Yeah, but then it's just like using a track...only more limited. :)

> Though I usually use "follow road" routing for (road) cycling, I find 50
> points is plenty for most journeys. You just need enough to make sure
> the Garmin calculates the route you want, ie one waypoint after each
> junction would work.

I tend to make very complicated routes. For example, I did a 75km ride on
Friday night which had something like 100 route points. If you want to see
some of the madness:
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=blrsdvznawmtgohx

> This page has some more details of the pros and cons of tracks vs routes
> etc (specifically for cycling, but useful for other things):
> http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_5.htm

Some interesting points in there.

Steve