[OSM-talk] no rendering of amenity=veterinary

Patrick Petschge Kilian osm at petschge.de
Mon Jan 11 09:38:26 GMT 2010

Hi all.

>> If enough flying rhinoceros' are mapped I'll add it to osmarender.
>> The interesting part here is the "enough".
>
> If this is the standard process, could it be documented? It's
> extremely unclear at the moment what the process is for getting new
> tags supported. You currently have this chicken-and-egg situation
> where you don't know if it's worth using a tag because you don't know
>  if it will ever be implemented.

Wiki voting, approving and all that aims at establishing concensus if
english or latin names should be used inside "animal=*".

>> As you can see the wiki doesn't play a role in this decision.
> And if *that* is the case, that should definitely be documented, and
> the whole voting process abandoned as a distracting waste of time.
You can do that or not, I don't really care as I mostly care about
maintaining osmarender.

>> Usage does but, your 835 rhinos are not yet enough to me invest my
>> rare spare time. I currently have 106 features with more then 1000
>> uses which are not rendered by osmarender, 38 open trac tickets and
>> two other projects (tagstat and mobilemap) to take care of. Oh, and
>> don't forget my diploma thesis which is due in February.
  > So you're overworked. How can we help?
>
> Oops, missed point 6.
>
> Ok, so how about this: proposals for new tags should include patches
> for OSMarender and Mapnik. Seem reasonable?
Most features should probably pick osmarender. Not because it is so
great or "my" renderer but because mapnik aims much more at producing
"nice" maps, while osmarender tries to include all features. IF someone
chooses to provide a patch for mapnik that's fine with me and should not
block the feature from getting approval.

Patrick "Petschge" Kilian