[OSM-talk] Public notary (Map feature POI proposal)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 09:28:17 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
> wrote:
> > You also have the fact that a "licensed professional" may work elsewhere
> than at an office.  For example, a medical doctor may work at an office; the
> same doctor may also work at a hospital.
>
> At that point we're really straying beyond making a map, aren't we?
> I'm already a little dubious about the value of recording the
> locations of professional services like lawyers.

When you survey a street from the ground (and not from the satellite
imagery), you notice the house numbers, the shops, the doctors, the vets,
the restaurants, everything visible from the street. Some contributors are
even adding the cuisine type and the opening hours. But they shouldn't
survey the architects, lawyers or carpenters, all these business that are
not selling goods but services... The problem is that some of the last three
examples might be marked as "amenity" which is far away from the original
definition. For carpenters, electricians, joiners, there is already one
proposal on the wiki ([1]) but nothing for lawyers, architects, designers,
all business that do not fit well with "amenity", "shop" or "craft".

Pieren

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:MaZderMind/Key:craft