[OSM-talk] Haiti EQ response: haiti field-based requirement for osm maps on gps + install instruction to humanitarian workers with low GIS/ GPS culture

Jonas Krückel osm at jonas-krueckel.de
Fri Jan 15 14:08:37 GMT 2010

Am 15.01.2010 um 15:01 schrieb nicolas chavent:

> Hi
>
> Below a field requirement form Haiti on gamrin gps maps which is half met
>
> a garmin img file of roads and places with clear instructions for non-gis users on how to load it to some common garmin units could be helpful.  We should encourage humanitarians to load this before they arrive.  The GIS staff in Haiti will not really be able to support loading this for people.

Overlaying the additional information with gpx files might be easier and faster than building a special maps style. In the osm wiki we have quite a lot of instructions on how to load the maps onto a garmin device. Problem is, that it differs based on the device and data used by the people.

Jonas (John07)