[OSM-talk] Our work is used in Haiti.

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:47:55 GMT 2010

Related to this, I was thinking last night if it would be of value if
there was a Web service/app like maposmatic
http://www.maposmatic.org/ to support work in Haiti.

The OSM data would be overlaid with Military Grid lines to provide a
coordinate system that many of the military operations are used to.

A tool like this may not be of any use to SAR people on the ground, or
even if it was, it may not be practical based on conditions on the
ground, but I thought that I would throw the idea out there.

David.

I don't know much about how international search and rescue works, and
I am guessing that with the current state of the infrastructure in
Haiti, it may be impossible to download frequent updates of map
products for distribution to field staff.