[OSM-talk] Can we ditch the publication copyright issues with the Haiti map?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jan 15 21:53:06 GMT 2010

Hi,

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> It seems that commercial companies do get the point...

Yes but you're missing the point. I'm all for ditching the share-alike
hassle but until we do that, everyone holds rights to their data and has
*not* agreed to a clause that says the data is license-free for crisis
mapping.

There are 169 contributors to the OSM Haiti data set. If you get an OK
from all of them, then the data can be released PD. You have my OK, and
yours, so you'll just need another 167.

They are:

chippy, Elwood, Dave Smith, ikiya, bass, katpatuka, SK53, andygates,
robert, olvagor, balrog-kun, AlNo, samlarsen1, harrierco, cetest,
Lulu-Ann, fsteggink, Anthony Balico, Ithaca-import, Basstoelpel, Chris
Parker, s_Frantz, toaster, bahnpirat, IknowJoseph, rendle, Hawkeye,
neuhausr, Zambelli Limitada, florisje, vsandre, ColinMarquardt,
davespod, Flacus, rurseekatze, FredB, Harry Wood, Esperanza36, alv,
dmgroom, jaakkoh, vreimer, llibre, Mirko Küster, Phil Shipley,
RDSantiago, Augustus Kling, ceyockey, zvenzzon, XBear, Leonardo
Gutierrez, Gianfra, rjhale1971, Fairfield, jkjk, mbuege, Tim Litwiller,
Jochen Plumeyer, Bráulio Bezerra, tomoki, AbeFroman, dankarran, Simone
Gadenz, mightym, Andy Allan, JP CASSOU, AssetBurned, mapistanbul, MCA,
daveemtb, AndrewL, seejay, aude, Black_Ivory_1986, nazotoko, JeLuF, lyx,
AndreR, WillyBeato, mikes, -jha-, prantolima, rw__, om3g4, maning, kjon,
miozzo, BugBuster, jgc, Ciprian, Bman, bri g, stuphi, higa4, Richard,
Bikeman2000, wambacher, STA, RichardB, Eddy Frometa, Osbornec, Luther__,
Hobby Navigator, Quentel, simone, Mountainman2, MatWay, nfrantz0, tiger,
imapi, Gurduloo, ALE!, harfner, Ivanovici, muffu, Grausewitz, Diego
Guidotti, Divebalu, Islanit, keinseier, ij_, MAPconcierge, ivansanchez,
alfa91, tcarobruce, giovand, ajeba, jamesks, comsomol, kallam,
GrdScarabe, Mathbau, amillar, EdLoach, springmeyer, David Paleino,
Dalkvist, nickb, Gandhi, sadam, sim, riad, pitscheplatsch, Claudius
Henrichs, Wag, JRA2, Frankie Roberto, Cyrond, alexaforever, mdroads,
Helder, crashi, vdb, jvbrug, fluteflute, discostu, usuyu, FK270673,
ulfl, Tom_G3X, timothylclark, robhedrick, Rene_A, rcr, Jesús Gómez,
Damouns, Andre68.

(This might include a few people who have mapped in the DomRep or Cuba
as these countries touch my excerpt area.)

If you are willing to release a partial map, for example one that only
has 300.000 of the 336.000 objects, then you need only convince the
first 25 of these people as they, together, account for over 90% of the
data. Of course then you have to make sure that what these 25 did was
not virulently affected by what the other 140 did whom you did not ask,
and any of whom may later sue one of the charities you have given the
data to.

Bye
Frederik