[OSM-talk] Cycle route won't render

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 13:04:47 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Felix Hartmann
<extremecarver at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Network=mtb makes not much sense in my eye (and was never discussed,
> approved, proposed...) as we can't differentiate then anymore between
> local and regional mtb routes.
> The question therefore is, what values do we want to use for network?
>
> Should we use ncn/rcn/lcn (because this is already quite commonly used
> for route=mtb and the differentitation to cycle routes can be done
> because we use route=mtb and not route=bicycle) or maybe nmn/rmn/lmn
> (this would go in accoradance with "ncn" Cycle Network and "nwn" Walking
> Network), or maybe go without accronyms and use "network=regional_mtb",
> "network=local_mtb" .....

How many places have local/regional/national mountain biking networks?
How would you tag routes that are both hiking and mountain biking?
Would a "local mtb network" be something like a set of trails that
link to each other at a ski resort or dedicated mountain bike park? Or
perhaps even towns that are lucky enough to have mtb trails used as a
form of transport...

The general idea that mountain biking routes should be route=mtb, not
route=bicycle, does seem sound to me; the needs of mountain bikers and
normal cyclists are quite different and don't overlap much.

Steve