[OSM-talk] Using editors to indicate license preference.

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:43:36 GMT 2010

2010/1/18 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> It's certainly much more legal to copy material for which you have explicit
> permission to copy than to copy material which is copyrighted and for which
> you don't have permission to copy.  See

Again, I'll leave the legal opinions up to others to debate with you,
but to me if nothing else is morally wrong to do this, someone
somewhere would be in breach of contract with OSM over it, and simply
saying I wasn't the one breaching contract doesn't morally mean you
have a right to do what you like with data others have spent effort,
time, money and other resources to create it.

> Define "PD data".  You do realize most of the world's legal system doesn't
> even have the concept of releasing things into the public domain, right?

Yes, although I doubt those promoting PD understand that, I have
mentioned in a couple of other emails.

> In any case, why not just have a flag on each user account which says "allow
> this data to be used in a database which is not under the ODbL"?

Because what I'm proposing doesn't require any changes server side.

I'm not against this, but I have no time or inclination for the
politics needed to get such changes implemented.